BROWN RICE SALAD
(Prep Time: 15 min | Cooking Time: 20 min | Serve: 2)
Brown rice is high in phenols and flavonoids, two types of antioxidants that help protect cells from damage and slow down the ageing process.
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked and rinsed clean
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- ½ red & green capsicum diced
- ¼ cup kidney beans
- 1 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp MEDITERRANEAN Seasoning Mix
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, 2 cups water, oil, and salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a low heat, cover, and cook for 40 minutes (or according to package instructions). Remove from heat and set aside for another 10 minutes to allow the rice to absorb the steam (still covered). Fluff with a fork. Allow rice to cool to room temperature or put it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Combine the cooled rice, tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers and kidney beans in a large mixing basin. Toss everything together.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Toss the salad in the dressing to evenly coat it.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Why This Is Good for You
- Rich in dietary fibre
- Rich in calcium and magnesium
- Rich in Selenium
- Rich in Anti-Oxidants
- High in Manganese