ITALIAN SPICE'd SHEPHERDS PIE
Shepherd's Pie brings a smile to most faces but you want to try it with this Italian seasoning... you'll be going back for seconds! Made with lamb (you can use beef instead) it's just perfect for the entire family to enjoy with hearty Itallian herbs.
1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
3/4 tsp each dried Thyme and Rosemary
750g Lamb Mince
1/4 cup Flour
1/4 cup Tomato Paste
Italian Broth [2 cups Water mixed with 1 Tbsp ITALIAN Seasoning Mix]
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 dried Bay Leaves
1 cup frozen Peas
1.2kg potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm cubes
2/3 Cup milk
2 tbsp Butter
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and cook for 1 min. Then add carrots, celery, thyme & rosemary. Cook for a further 3 mins.
2. Turn heat up to high. Add lamb and cook, breaking it up as you go, until browned.
3. Add flour, mix in. Add tomato paste, Italian Broth, worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir well.
4. Bring to simmer, then turn down heat so it is simmering rapidly. I have it on medium. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it reduces down to a thick gravy consistency.
5. Add additional salt and pepper to taste if you wish. Transfer filling to baking dish. Stir through peas. Cover, then refrigerate to cool for 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
1. Preheat oven to 180deg. Cook potatoes in boiling water for 15mins or until soft. Drain then return to pot. Add butter and mash until melted. Add milk, salt and pepper. Spread mash onto pie or use a piping bag. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until deep golden on top and bubbling on edges. Stand for 5mins before serving.