SLOW COOKED BEEF RAGU
(Prep time: 10 min |Cooking Time: 8 hr. | Serves:4)
Beef is a good source of protein and other nutrients, but is also high in cholesterol and saturated fats that can cause fatty deposits to build up in the blood. Therefore, we recommend red meat only twice per week.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 450 gram flank steak
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1tsp ITALIAN Spice Blend
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 450 gram pasta
- Parmesan, ricotta, and parsley for topping
- In a small skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the meat and season with ITALIAN Spice Blend. Transfer to a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Pour the tomatoes and 1 tsp ITALIAN Spice Blend, carrots, and thyme.
- Cover and cook for 6 hours on highest level or 8-10 hours on low level. Discard the herbs and chop the meat in the saucepan with 2 forks.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, return to the pot and add the sauce from the slow cooker. Turn on the heat and cook, stirring, until the pasta and sauce have combined, about 1 minute.
- Divide among 8 bowls and garnish with Parmesan, ricotta and parsley. Serve hot!
Why This Is Good for You
- Excellent source of various vitamins and minerals
- richest dietary sources of iron
- good source of zinc
- rich in protein
- high in Omega-3 fatty acids,