DUTCH OVEN ROAST BEEF WITH ROOT VEGETABLES
Prep Time:20 min | Cooking Time: 2hr. | Serves: 6
Beef is high in protein, which provides the amino acids necessary for muscular growth, bulk and tissue repair. Muscle health is especially crucial for preserving our independence as we age.
Beef is a good source of iron, which helps your red blood cells transport oxygen to all of your body's cells. Iron is crucial for adolescent girls, pregnant women, menstrual women and endurance athletes since it is necessary for energy, brain function, and healthy growth and development.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 kg beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- ¾ MEDITERRANEAN Seasoning
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 250 ml water
- 2 carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 turnip, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large dutch oven, cook bacon until crispy.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon and set it aside. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from the pan.
- Preheat the dutch oven to medium-high. In the bacon grease, brown the meat on all sides.
- Transfer the steak to a serving platter.
- Add red wine to the dutch oven and cook until reduced by half. Be sure to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom
- Combine the water and ¾ tbsp. MEDITERRANEAN seasoning and the cooked bacon in a large mixing bowl. Return the steak to the Dutch oven.
- Remove from oven, flip beef over, cover and return to oven for another hour.
- Remove from oven. Lift beef up and place carrots, sweet potatoes and turnips underneath the beef. Cover and return to oven for another 45 minutes.
WHY THIS IS GOOD FOR YOU
- Rich in protein
- Rich source of zinc
- Rich in Iron
- Good source of B6 and B12
- high in phosphorous
- high in Omega-3 fatty acids